5 steps to create a drop-down list
The topic of today is to make a drop-down list in Excel. In this article we will reuse the example Excel file we used in the “Look up a value” article and work in the second sheet, dataset containing the 99 recommended books list.
- The first thing we did after opening the book was to go to the sheet dataset and make one new heading in column “D” called “Genre”.
- The second task was moving the cursor to field “D2”.
Then it was time to make the drop-down list.
Step one was to click on [Data] in the top menu and then on [Data Validation].
Then from the Pop-Up menu “Data Validation” we selected “list” under [Allow].
- After that we typed in some book genres separated with semicolon (;) in the field [Source].
Last step for creating the drop-down list was pressing the [OK] button.
- Then we tested that it worked by pressing the down arrow button next to the field “D2”. When pressed all genres typed in should appear.
- Now it is just to press [Ctrl] + [C], mark the rest of the rows for column D where there is a book and press [Ctrl] + [V]. All fields should now contain a drop-down list.
Now it is your turn to try it in column E!